Elderly Couple social security payee

What Is A Social Security Representative Payee?

A representative payee is a person appointed by the Social Security Administration (SSA) to receive and manage your SSDI or SSI benefits. Your representative payee receives your money each month and must use that money to pay for things you need such as food, clothing, shelter, and other bills. The representative payee can also pay for things you want such as entertainment or use the money in another manner that the payee determines is in your best interest and for your benefit.

Why Did The Social Security Administration Appoint A Representative Payee?

You can voluntarily choose a person to act as your representative payee if you do not feel comfortable managing your own financial affairs. However, the SSA appoints a representative payee in some cases regardless of whether the person wants a representative payee to handle his or her disability money. The SSA appoints a representative payee when it finds you are unable to successfully manage your disability benefits to pay for your needs. In the case of personality disorders, the SSA often appoints a representative payee to protect the disabled individual.

For example, if a patient is diagnosed with a bipolar disorder and a severe borderline personality disorder that results in the person:

    • Taking risky behaviors with people who she just met;
    • Spending excessive amounts of money on drugs, gambling, and/or alcohol;
    • Spending all of her money on things she wants rather than things she needs (i.e. housing, food, clothing, etc.); and,
    • Allowing people to use her to get her money, the SSA will appoint someone to manage the disabled person’s disability benefits to ensure the person is provided with the basic necessities of life.

In this case, the SSA will appoint a representative payee to ensure the disabled person will receive proper care. Other examples of situations where the SSA may appoint a payee include the absence of formal education that allows the disabled person to manage a bank account, budget money, pay bills and living expenses; and, pay for personal –necessities. This could be a lack of education or mental retardation or other condition. Of course, the SSA would appoint a payee in most cases involving early-onset Alzheimer’s and severe dementia.

Who Serves As A Representative Payee?

The SSA will typically look to the person you live with (i.e. family or close friend) who has been providing care during the application process. This person knows you the best and knows your needs; therefore, it is logical to use this person as your payee. The SSA decides who your payee will be; however, you may have the opportunity to discuss your preference with the SSA before the hearing.

Do You Have More Questions About New Orleans Social Security Benefits?

Our Social Security disability benefits assist clients in all areas of preparation to apply for disability payments, preparing to file the initial disability application, filing an appeal of the decision, and preparing or and attending court to argue the court before a judge. Your attorney will explain in terms you can understand how things will proceed and what you need to do to increase the chance your disability application will be approved.

Call the Social Security disability attorneys of The Broderick Law Firm, P.L to schedule a free consultation. Our SS disability lawyers have the experience, knowledge, and skill you need to protect your right to receive the disability payments you deserve under the law.

Contact our office today 1-800-333-3903 to schedule your free consultation.