Forklifts are used in a variety of jobs in Florida. These machines are extremely useful for efficiently moving items without placing the working in danger of suffering an injury from moving heavy or bulky items. Unfortunately, forklift accidents are a common workplace injury with over 20,000 injuries and over 100 deaths being reported each year from forklifts accidents.
One of the most common causes of forklift accidents is the lift overturning. An unloaded forklift can be dangerous, but an improperly loaded forklift can be deadly. A forklift should not be overloaded or carry items that it is not designed to carry. The first step in preventing workplace accidents involving forklifts is to institute safety measures and rules for the use of a forklift. The second step is to secure the forklift when not in use to prevent unauthorized use of the forklift. Three, employers need to provide training on how to use a forklift.
Most forklift accidents can be avoided with proper safety measures and training. Employers need to ensure their employees receive adequate training before they operate a forklift. Furthermore, untrained workers should not be allowed to operate a forklift. Employers should also provide a safe operating environment free from hazards that could cause a forklift accident.
Do’s and Don’ts for Safe Forklift Operation
Workers must take steps to protect themselves when operating heavy or potentially dangerous equipment, including forklifts. Tips for safe forklift operation include:
- Only operate a forklift if you have the proper training and experience.
- Never engage in horseplay on or around the forklift.
- Always conduct a safety check before operating the forklift.
- Never use a forklift to elevate people unless the forklift is specifically designed for this purpose.
- Be careful will loading the forklift. Improperly balanced loads can cause the forklift to turn over.
- Secure all loads and make sure pallets are in good condition.
- Never operate the forklift while distracted.
- Always watch for potential hazards such as uneven floors, power lines, low entryways, and blind corners.
- Never operate the forklift while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
If you are injured in a forklift accident at work, you may be entitled to receive benefits under Florida’s workers’ comp statutes. Workers’ compensation is intended to protect injured workers by supplying workers’ comp benefits to the injured employee. However, you must file our claim and see the doctor as soon as possible.
Have You Been Injured in A Work-Related Accident?
Being injured at work is a frightening, painful, and overwhelming experience. No one really wants to be out of work because of the fear of losing your job if you are not at work. However, if your doctor places you out of work, your employer cannot fire you just because you were injured and needed medical care.
If you have questions, call The Broderick Law Firm, P.L. at 1-800-333-3903 to speak with a Boca Raton workers’ compensation lawyer. Our law firm represents individuals in West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale & Miami, FL.